Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Phonebook Gift Wrap & Bow

I'm starting a new thing here that will soon be all the rage....I can feel it. Okay maybe not, but I still think it is a good idea! I am announcing that plain old, boring old Tuesdays will now become....

I can't promise that I will be motivated, nor creative enough to do this, ahem, every Tuesday, but I will try to shoot for at least once a month for right now until we get past these crazy holidays!

Anyhow, here is my first addition to Use What You Have Tuesday, which also happens to be in my Christmas 2008 Gift Idea list. This was a super easy and quick gift wrap that needed only a few basic supplies: A few phone book or newsprint pages, scotch tape, and scrap fabric, ribbon, or felt (optional).




I made this wrapping paper out of a phone book page. It only took one sheet since all I was covering was a cd. Then I made the bow out of another sheet from the phone book and I got my inspiration from this site. The only thing I did different was make some fringe for a puffy center and I tucked the ends in on the pinwheel bow and taped them down. I taped a few stripes of leftover felt from my scrap drawer to the back of the bow. Then I taped the fringy puffed center piece that I just made to the middle of the pinwheel. Then I attached my pretty bow to the package! That's it! Easy as pie.

18" Doll Outfits


As part of my Christmas sewing and gift giving extravaganza this year, I made these outfits for my niece's 18" American Girl doll. I made the patterns from scratch and used all recycled fabrics. The jean skirt was very simple and made from the bottom of the leg of a pair of old girls' jeans. The dress was made from a newborn shirt that I adjusted to fit the doll. The leggings, cardigan, and tank top were made from the patterns I made. The shoes were made by adjusting a fleece baby booty pattern I got from Martha Stewart's website. I made the "brooch" from scratch as well using leftover felt, ribbon, and a button from other projects.


Saturday, November 1, 2008

Big sweater, little sweater


I made my first sweater refashion (or recon, as some might say)! The original was a Tommy Hilfiger sweater of my sister's; it was about a size 7 juniors. Here's was it looked like originally:

I only had one issue and I plan to correct that for future sweaters. What I screwed up was the neck. The problem was that when I originally cut the neck, it seemed to small of an opening to go over my son's head, so I made it bigger. However, I failed to take into account that when I re-attached the blue neck trim piece that there would be some stretching as a result of sewing the pieces together. So my hole that I recut for my son's head got HUGE once I sewed ont he trim. It annoys the heck out of me but it is still a cute and functioning sweater for this fall and winter season. I guess I know for next time to make the neck hole smaller! Well you can see from the photo that it still turned out cute so I still am going to pat myself on the back for my first sweater recon!