Thursday, January 29, 2009

Custom Car Seat Cover

Well this isn't a tutorial or really a great how-to, I just wanted to share a past project today that I had done and am proud of. I sold the carseat recently and it made me a little sad because I worked so hard on it! :(

Here's the back story... I had a son and therefore bought a boyish carseat. Then two years later I had a baby girl. Well call me crazy but I don't see the point in buying a whole new carseat when the other one worked prefectly fine! Here is the finished product:



So I took the carseat cushion off and the awning piece (is that what its called?) and then I proceeded to rip the seams apart. I paid close attention at this point to really watch the construction and how it was put together. Once everything was apart, I ironed like crazy.

I bought some pink flannel material with a cute star pattern all over it and I purple cotton fabric for the accent pieces. From there it was pretty simple. I just laid out my "pattern pieces" (the old cushion and awning parts) and cutout the pieces from the new fabric. I also opted to double the fabric for the awning so that there wouldn't be any visible seams as there would have been if I had not. I added a ruffle to the awning for a little cute factor. I used a litle extra quilt batting in the cushion for comfort as well.

That's about it! Here is what the carseat looked like before:

2 comments:

Heather - Dollar Store Crafts said...

Wow!! You did a great job! Our first car seat was sage green, so fine for either - we have 2 boys though, so I didn't have to do any making over!

Okay, I'm here to stalk you, Junk Jewelry Necklace swap partner! Love your felt food tutorial. I am going to pass it along to Rachel at OnePrettyThing.com! I'm pretty sure she'd be interested in featuring it.

Heather

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Hi Amanda! Heather above just emailed me to let me know about your fantastic site. There are so many creative projects here, I love it! Your felt food patterns are so much fun. The swiss cheese just kills me. I'll be linking to this on Thursday and I'm adding your blog to my Reader so I don't miss a thing!