Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Finally, a onesie pattern! ...and a recon too.



Okay I finally got my lazy bum around and am posting this pattern! It is for an infant size 12 through 24 month onesie or t-shirt! The pattern is pretty self explanatory for avid sewers except for the sleeve might be a bit confusing. Either way, beginners might want some instructions here so I am going to explain how it all works. To use these, right-click and "Save Target As..." and choose your desktop. The print from there. Here are the pattern pieces:




In this example I am going to be applying the pattern in a recon way. But this pattern would work using material and making the whole thing from scratch (which at some point down the line this lazy bum will explain that too!).

Here is what I started with. It was a size 7 girls t-shirt that my niece outgrew. It was really small. Here is the original shirt:


I laid out the t-shirt nice and flat and smoothed out any wrinkles. I also make sure that the shoulder seam is where it should be at the top and same for the side seams....perfectly flat and in place. This is critical because I am a lazy sewer at times and am using the neck from the original t-shirt as well as the shoulder seam. It will save you a lot of work if you can do the same.

Fold the t-shirt in half lengthwise with the back together and the front will be on the outside. The lay down the pattern, lining it up with the folded edge as well as the top neckline and shoulder line. Pin and cut around armholes, along the side, and the bottom. See below:


Turn sleeves from original shirt inside out and lay flat. Lay pattern on sleeve, matching folded edge and using existing hemmed edge of sleeve, if possible. Pin and cut.

Sew the sides of the t-shirt up using 5/8" hem. Attach sleeves. Hem bottom of the shirt. And that's all she wrote!

Any long-time sewer will know exactly how to sew up a shirt without any or very little intruction at all. If you are a beginner then I apologize for my cruddy instructions but I am sure that you can find a website on the internet that will better explain t-shirt construction and sewing. It is super easy. Anyhow, here is the action shot on my daughter....


One last thing, the pants shown here we also made by me. The pattern is mine and can be found here. I made them from a pair of girls (size 7) sweatpants.

9 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Oh that's fantastic! Makes perfect sense to me, thanks so much for writing this up and sharing, I'll be linking! I love the model in the "action shot!" =)

Dragon's Dolphin said...

Oh that is just too cute. I hadn't thought of recylcling old t-shirts to make the little ones something from them! Now how crazy is that for as much as I sew! Thanks so much for showing this tut on it--and the pattern too! LOVE the "action shot"--the model is just tooooo adorable!
Shelly

casserole said...

Very cute!! Blogged it at Craft Gossip Sewing Blog:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/free-pattern-infant-onesie-or-tee/2009/02/18/

Sewing-Chick said...

I just found your blog today and love it! Great job on the recon! Today I sewed up 6 toddler tees today made from thrifted adult tees :)

Sharon said...

Just found your site and your pattern for a 'onesie'! I am making things for Lutheran World Relief Layettes. Each one needs to have two 'onesies'. I was ok with the two gowns and the two little jackets or sweaters, but could NOT find a onesie pattern till I found yours!

Thank you SO much for sharing!

Sharon Simpson, Walker, MN

Jerri said...

Cute onesie pattern! I'm glad to find something that is not the lapped-t version. I just can't figure out how to print it in the correct size.

EddieDuckling said...

Great pattern - I also have a question about which size to print it it. Is it A4 or US Letter format?
Eddie

Andrea Warren said...

Hi there! I am going to link to this post on my blog in the next couple of days. A friend of mine asked me to attempt to make a onesie for her daughter's 1 yr pictures because she couldn't find a tan/brown one in stores. Feel free to come check it out when it's done!

Thanks for your pattern!

Andrea
(bagtransformation.wordpress.com)

Anonymous said...

This is really clever! I never would have thought of that! :)