Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fleece Mohawk Hat - Tutorial!


So I made this for my toddler for Christmas. His head circumference is 19 1/2" and it fits him perfectly.

Here are the pattern pieces:



Here are the directions:

1) Measure the head circumference of the person who the hat is for. Divide that number by four. That length needs to fit between the blue dots on the hat pattern. Size the pattern up or down accordingly using a copy machine.

2) Lay out pattern and cut 4 pieces (one piece at a time) from fleece, following the bias line. Two pieced will be the outside and two pieces will be the inside and can be contrasting. Pinking shears can be used along the bottom only (just below the stitching line on the pattern).

3) The straps are optional. If you want straps then cut them out of either the exterior fabric or contrasting fabric. The straps may need to be lengthened or shortened if you have changed the size of the hat pattern. Adjust the length accordingly. With right sides together, stitch the straps close the edge but leave the flat short end open for turning. Trim excess if needed before turning.

4) Cut out the Mohawk pieces following the bias line.

5) Take one lining piece and one exterior piece and put them wrong sides together. Now do the same for the other side. Pin the straps, if you are using them, in place using the pink line as a guide. The straps should be sandwiched between the lining and the exterior fabric. You can shorten or lengthen the straps here as well. Now stitch along the bottom only 3/8” from the edge. Make sure you catch the straps in the stitching line. You may want to do a couple reinforcing stitch lines where the straps are since they will get a lot of tension when tied.

6) Mark the holes onto the fleece using a fabric pencil of some sort (really only need to mark one side. Now pin the two halves of the hat together in place. Take a small pair of sharp pointed scissors (or an awl if you have one) and CAREFULLY poke holes through all four layers of fleece.

7) Watch the video to see how to poke the Mohawk pieces through the fabric. Then once you do all the pieces your done!
video

14 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is AWESOME! Super, super creative, I love it! Thanks so much for sharing the instructions, I'll be linking.

Kristina R. said...

My stepsons will love these.

Infarrantly Creative said...

I came over from One Pretty Thing. I love your blog. Plus you are a fellow Hoosier. If you are ever in the Indy area we could craft it up. Check out my blog it will be right up your alley. I love this hat I am going to try it for my little guy.

P.S. Did you know you have word verification on? Just thought you may want to know in case it was accidental.

irasema said...

Thanks so much for posting this. i used it for a christmas gift and posted a link in my blog. your instructions were easy to follow and i loved how it looks!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Sewing-Chick said...

Oh dear. You had me until the Michigan hat! It would look a lot better in scarlet and gray!!

I thought you might like this refashion: http://sewing-chick.blogspot.com/2009/03/poop-on-ann-arbor.html

Enjoy :)

Kim @ seven thirty three said...

This is so easy and they look so fun!

Thanks for sharing.

Ashley said...

Just finished the hat. Thanks for the pattern. Love it!

http://imnotquitemartha.blogspot.com/2011/03/chiefs-mohawk-hat.html

Badger_jescar said...

Is it possible to transpose this to an adult? I desperately want to make one but your pattern is confusing me slightly, as it only looks like half of the hat pattern yet on the picture it looks like you have used one bigger piece.. it may just me over thinking it!

Julie said...

SO based on your measurements when you printed out your pattern from bias line to line as it 5"? I printed out a 140%, 165% and 170%. They look huge. Can you give some feedback?

Julie said...

Hi I was just wondering what percentage you increased it for your boy. I printed mine at 170% which is 4.75 inches from dot to dot. Seems pretty large. Is that about right?

Anonymous said...

cute idea but would be good to have some measurements on pattern pieces besides just the area between the blue dots. I also stitched my pieces with the right sides together (on the 3/8 in seam line) and turned them. Worked great. Great idea and not time intensive. Thanks.

Emily said...

I have been looking for a quick relatively easy project to make for a christmas gift for a thirteen year old boy. This is going to be perfect!! So glad I found this.

Emily from VA said...

Found this on pintrest to start with and am SOO glad I did. Trying one out for my best friend who I know will love it regardless and if all goes well I may make more for additional christmas gifts!! Thanks sooo much for posting