Tuesday, April 14, 2009

*FREE* 18-24 Month Dress Pattern! FINALLY!!!


**EDIT March 9, 2010** It seems as though I forgot to add the 1/4" seam allowance to this pattern. I am working on correcting this and replacing the pattern on here now with one that has seam allowances (and a 1" square printing guide as well). In the meantime, PLEASE ADD A 1/4" SEAM ALLOWANCE TO THIS PATTERN ON ALL SIDES *EXCEPT* THE FOLDED EDGE when cutting out your fabric FOR PROPER FIT.

I finally got around to finishing the pattern for this 18-24 month dress. You remember, the one I said I would finish and post by the end of February here. HA! That's a likely story. Well, two months later it is finally done. And here it is!

To use the patterns, right-click and "Save Target As..." and choose your desktop. Then print from there. If you have Windows Vista, like me, then you want to make sure you UN-check the option to "resize to fit page" (it will be automatically checked!).

Here are the pattern pieces:




Here are the directions:

1) Cut out a front and back pattern piece onto your chosen fabric. Then cutout a front and back piece to the dashed line (pattern piece #2) in your chosen lining fabric. Optional: Serge all the pieces.

2) Stitch a finished narrow hem onto the two lining pieces along the bottom edge.

3) Place the front lining piece to the front dress piece with right sides together and pin in place. Do the same for the back pieces. Stitch 1/4" from armpit to armpit (marked with a blue dot on the pattern). Turn pieces and press. Top stitch 1/4" from armpit to armpit. Repeat for the back pieces.

4) This would be a good time to add a ribbon or lace embellishment to the empire waistline. I stiched mine onto the front in such a way that the stitching line went through the lining hemline just to help keep it tacked down. It is much easier to add the wasitline embellishments now rather than after the side seams have been done.

5) Place the front and back pieces together with right sides together. Stitch a 1/4" seam along both sides. A double seam would not be a bad idea here either for extra stability.

6) Hem the bottom of the dress using a narrow hem.

7) Figure out the best placement for the buttons and button holes for the straps by trying the dress on the child. The buttons should go on the front of the dress (the short, squared off straps) and the button holes should go on the back straps (the long pointed ones).

That's it! Your done! This dress looks cute with a onesie underneath or even a long sleeved shirt. I even like it with a cute cardigan and a pair of leggings! Enjoy!

*Note: This pattern is labeled as 18-24 month. It fits up to a 25 lb child. However, every child is different so you may need to adjust the pattern accordingly.

22 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

Congratulations, it looks fantastic! And how cute is that fabric? I'll be linking.

chris said...

Great job! I love the dress and can't wait til my 7 month old granddaughter grows a bit so I can sew one for her!

chris said...

PS. I've seen some patterns that include a 1" square so that once you print it you will know that you got the right print size. Just a thought. :)

casserole said...

Such a pretty dress!! I posted a link to your free pattern on Craft Gossip Sewing Blog: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-sew-a-toddler-dress-or-jumper/2009/04/15/
--Anne

My Black Cardigan said...

Thankyou for sharing your pattern...

michellejohnnie said...

Thanks for the pattern. I will link so I can remember this!

RobertaMac said...

You're in South Bend and you're using Wolverine fabric?

Woot!

Jennifer said...

I have really enjoyed your blog. I wanted to thank you for sharing your talents with your readers, so I gave you an award over at my blog. You can check it out here: http://mytwohappyhomeschoolers.blogspot.com/2009/04/super-blog-award.html

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was looking for felt food patterns and have just added your blog to my favourites mainly because of the soundtrack that made me sit back, close my eyes and smile!! What is that song??

Best WIShes, Jenni (UK)

vanessa said...

Thank you! I can't wait to try this. Love the fabric you chose. Go blue! (Or, in this case, pink!)

Jason and Monica said...

I don't know if I was the only one with this problem, but I printed out the pattern (I dont have vista so I didnt have to uncheck anything) and the top pattern did not match the middle and the bottom. It was slightly smaller so I decided hey for a 12month old slightly smaller will be fine right..WRONG. I tried this on my 7month old and it was too snug around her chest, the bottom and length were great. just a thought: maybe measure the size of the pattern and post on there "After printed it should be.." I adjusted the pattern a little bit and made 2 of them and I will use the first one for a smaller baby. not sure if I will hem it so its not so long or just leave it as a long dress...thanks for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

please add a control square 10cmx10cm(=4"x4") to your pattern sheets.. thank you for taking the time to provide a pattern for such cute jumper.
liz

saffiertje said...

cutie dress, thanx for the pattern, I will try it to make bigger for my girls...

love miranda

Amanda S. said...

For those who have been asking for a grid or control square for my patterns....GOOD NEWS!! I am currently editing all my patterns to include a printing guide square as many have requested it. I will be updating all patterns very soon.

As for the songs...well you can view the playlist for the music at the very bottom of every page. It shows all the songs by song title and artist and the highlighted one is the one which is playing at that moment.

Lastly, I apologize for my brain fart on this pattern. I inadvertedly forgot to add the 1/4" seam allowance. I have posted an edit to the posting at the very top in red and will correct this pattern PRONTO!

Thanks to all who follow this blog (patiently....Ha ha!).

~Amanda~
snazzlecraft

Rachel Ann said...

Thanks for sharing! I used your pattern to make a spring dress with a ruffled bottom for my niece.

http://randomcreativity.wordpress.com/2010/03/31/upcycled-sundress-for-my-adorable-niece-and-iron-on-tag-tutorial/

Liz said...

Thanks for the tutorial. Made a dress for my friend's daughter. Adorable!

http://liz-makes-stuff.blogspot.com/2010/09/nak-raya.html

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out how to print the pattern. Where is the option to uncheck "resize to fit page"?

Jill said...

Just finished this for my 15 month old, and it looks fantastic! The directions were nice to follow, and it was soooo easy! I am a VERY novice sewer, and I am so proud of how it looks. I would say that my results fit more like a 12-18 month size (she is about 20 lbs) but it is PERFECT!! Thanks a lot!

Jill Rogers said...

Wow- Slightly creepy that my name is Jill, and the comment just above me is EXACTLY what I totally would have said. My little girl is 20 lbs. and it fits perfect. So I don't think it would have worked up to 2 years. I also would add to the pattern to notch around the straps before turning them right-side-in so that it's more rounded. I also added a petticoat to mine with a peak-a-boo tulle skirt. If you send me an email I can shoot you a pic of how it turned out.

Thanks for the pattern!

Jill Rogers said...

Wow- Slightly creepy that my name is Jill, and the comment just above me is EXACTLY what I totally would have said. My little girl is 20 lbs. and it fits perfect. So I don't think it would have worked up to 2 years. I also would add to the pattern to notch around the straps before turning them right-side-in so that it's more rounded. I also added a petticoat to mine with a peak-a-boo tulle skirt. If you send me an email I can shoot you a pic of how it turned out.

Thanks for the pattern!

Emmie The Muse said...

Hi! I came across your blog while I was searching for adorable Jumper patterns to make one for my daughter, I used your pattern and it turned out great!! Thanks for sharing this with the world! I'm attempting to link up, but this will be the first time I'm trying to... hope it works.
~Andrea

Ashley Macejka said...

Thank you so much for the great pattern. I made this dress yesterday for a friend's daughter that was coming over. Here's a picture of the dress http://sugarandthread.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2012-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&updated-max=2013-01-01T00:00:00-05:00&max-results=2