Thursday, May 28, 2009

Floral Shirt to Toddler Dress Recon

I have been into clothing upcycling/recon lately. So I asked all my friends to rifle through their cloests and give me all their old clothes. My friend Rose gave me this stretch-poly floral print shirt...I think its a L or XL Juniors. Anyhow, I knew it would make a great bathing suit or dress for my daughter. Here is the original top:


I drafted a pattern and got to work. The finished design ended up being slightly too big on her but she can still wear it now and she will definitely grow into it! I am tweaking the pattern so I can post it on here!! I used some tealish colored stretch poly jersey that I had leftover from another project to use as the straps, accent waistband, and headband. I also used a teeny piece to cover the button in the flower.


The picture doesn't quite show how flat the triangle top pieces lay because my daughter wouldn't sit still for the picture and my camera is terrible.

Lastly, I used these instructions to create the beautiful flower for her matching headband. The instructions were realy easy and the design is fabulous.


I will be making another one of these dresses soon so I can *hopefully* post a pattern with instructions for the design. In the meanwhile, you'll just have to over these pictures! :P

9 comments:

Wendy said...

How beautiful! Our kids, specially girls, inspire us to be so crafty!!!

Heather - CROQZine.com - Dollarstorecrafts.com said...

Your girl is such a doll, and the dress is adorable!

Sparky N' Rouge Raven said...

adorable dress and adorable baby!

The Short Mom said...

how brilliant! She is adorable.

Grietje said...

Sweeeet!!!
And Amanda? I really like your blog:)

Greetz,
Grietje

shirley said...

Wow, I linked over here from craftster...you are one talented woman! Your creations are are absolutely gorgeous. I'm floored.

Dot said...

That is just adorable! Makes me wish I had a girl :)

By the way, I notice you follow Dabbled. Be sure to update your feed to http://feeds.feedburner.com/Dabbled (in the move to wordpress, some of my readers were left behind, eep!)

Thanks!
Dot
Dabbled.org

Roshelle said...

oh my gosh! that looks really good, i love the pop of color you put in it...

anna said...

that is so pretty, you are amazingly talented.