Saturday, December 4, 2010

Easy Santa Beard

I love easy, fast sewing projects. Especially the ones that make me smile when I am done. This Santa beard is just that type of project.

I have seen similar designs all over the blog world and even on Etsy but I am on a budget so what do I do? Make it myself, of course!

This one that I made here and photographed is now in a box and on its way to my baby sister who is going to be spending her first Christmas away from the family. She is is the Marine Corp and serving in Afghanistan. She has an amazing sense of humor just like her big sister (I am not one for modesty LOL) and will just ADORE the humor in this beard. I can’t wait till she gets it.

Anyhow, let’s get on with it.

 

First download and print the pattern. I am now including a 1” control square on all  my patterns so this should help everyone out. :)

santabeard_pattern

The materials are easy. 1 piece of pre-cut cream or white felt or a nice piece of soft flannel or fleece. This will be the liner that touches your face. A piece of white fleece just large enough to accommodate the pattern pieces.

Now I did the entire piece on my sewing machine but this could also be sewn by hand with a running stitch or blanket stitch. The choice is yours.

Oh and don’t forget your elastic! I chose a narrow white elastic (the size escapes my mind that the moment) but really the choice is yours here as well.

The elastic needs to be long enough to go around the head of the wearer, from ear to ear. There should be some stretching of the elastic when it is on the person but not so much that it leaves indentations and grimaces from “Santa.”

Stitch the mustache onto the right side of the beard piece (the piece that is facing the world not your freckles). Then place this onto the liner fabric.

Now for the elastic. You can pin it before sewing and have it sandwiched between the beard and the liner or your can sew it on last with the ends on the liner side. It’s up to you. The placement position is indicated on the pattern by a small grey box on the beard).

Okay so depending on what you decided for the elastic, you may only need to stitch the liner and beard pieces together using a straight stitch on your sewing machine. Keep the stitch as close to the edge as you feel comfortable.

(Here I am wearing the beard. Tee Hee.)

Remember this project is supposed to be easy and fun. There are no steadfast rules on this, bend or break the few rules there are as you see fit!

And lastly, just have fun. Enjoy! Muah!!


20 comments:

casserole said...

I love it!!! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-felt-santa-beard-moustache/2010/12/04/

--Anne

two hippos said...

brilliant beard, just perfect!

Trekky said...

Very cool!

Amanda said...

This is so great! I am making this for my dad so he can wear it Christmas morning when we unwrap our gifts! Thank you!

Quilted Cupcake said...

What a great idea - can't wait to try this. I can see this could be one of the things I pull out of the Christmas box each year. My 11 year old will love it!

And, God bless your sister for serving her country. It's people like her that keep us all safe and free.

Happy Holidays!

akasha said...

I just made this for my niece. It was super easy! I reduced the size to 75% as she is 2 1/2 year old. I also made a scrunchy cover for the elastic. I think the entire project took 15 minutes and it looks great! This will make cookie day so much fun.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is so fabulous! My cat and I both need one! Thanks for the template, I'll be linking.

Myrinda said...

oh I just ADORE this! I'm really into felt right now AND I LOVE LOVE LOVE felt beards and moustaches...ummmm anyway...lol! I'm making this right away...and I'm using fold over elastic for the band on mine

Myrinda said...

my 3 year old...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs733.ash1/162716_1723382012307_1471076453_1805811_6278863_n.jpg

FlippyTWS said...

This is great! I made one for my daughter's dress up box. She's been wanting to "play santa" ever since we started talking about Christmas. I double sided mine, with white felt on one side and brown fleece on the other so that she could also have a brown beard for imaginative play. Thanks for an awesome pattern!

Julia Litz said...

I added this project and thumbnail to our site and linked to you. We are looking for more Christmas project as well as other projects, so if you have any similar projects please feel free to let me know.
Julia
jlitz@primecp.com
Editor, www.AllFreeChristmasCrafts.com

Mom2fur said...

This is so funny! My daughter is always goofing around taking pics with fake mustaches. She is going to LOVE this! (PS, she's 27, LOL!)

Deb @ Paper Turtle said...

Hi Amanda! Thanks so much for the free pattern! I Googled "Santa Beard Tutorial" and your image came up several times. :o)

I made a few of the beards, and posted about one today on my blog (and I linked to you and your lovely pattern). So much fun!

Merry Christmas, and thanks again for the inspiration and free pattern!

http://paperturtle.blogspot.com/2011/12/december-shenanigans-and-tutorial.html

EddieDuckling said...

This is such a great tutorial and fun and easy to make - just made one for husband and pinned the tutorial on my Pinterest board (http://pinterest.com/eddieduckling/making-christmas-gifts-2011/) - hope that's OK?
Eddie

elizabethlikes said...

Just ran a Santa-themed charity race (http://www.albanyspeedosprint.com/) and the fleece beard was a big hit! (back row, all the way the to left)

Thank you for your great idea!

Anonymous said...

Well done! Easy and quick. Thanks for sharing!

TaniaMarie said...

What a cute, fun idea- well done. I love giving silliness like this to my lovies and this is perfect for my bro. Thanks for posting it and please give my thanks to your sister for her service. Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the template :) I made one for my friend with Cotton wool Balls stuck on card with a glue gun. Took 5 mins thanks to the template :) :)

Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it better if you used fake fur?

Julia @ AllFreeChristmasCrafts said...

Hello!
I'm one of the Editors at http://www.allfreechristmascrafts.com/ and I just wanted to let you remind you that we linked to your project on our site in February 2011. You can see the project and thumbnail: http://www.allfreechristmascrafts.com/Santa-Christmas-Crafts/Easy-Santa-Beard/. I think it's a great project that our readers will just love to make. This will easily bring traffic to your site and allow others to see what's new on your site.

We would love to add more of your projects to our site, so feel free to let us know as you add or create projects. We are always looking for afghan projects as well as other projects so if you have any of these please feel free to send them my way or let us know if you prefer we not link to you. We also feature projects from our website on our blogs, eBooks and e-mail newsletters.

Your project is great and we know our readers will enjoy it. With that said, can we have permission to link to any project on your site as well as use the image? We will credit you, of course.
Thanks!